People are living longer and with that we will see the elderly needing assisted care. Children of aging parents can do a few simple things to evaluate changes in their parent’s lifestyle with some careful attention to everyday regimes and schedules that may not seem normal. There are some clear signs that can be seen and some that need closer observation, let’s look at them both.
- Safety is most important. If they are forgetting to turn off the stove, they are at risk for starting a fire in the home, they need supervision or help.
- If your parents have trouble negotiating stairs, it might be dangerous for them to travel up and down to do laundry or going to bed.
- A parent is dehydrated, not eating well, and lacks proper hygiene; they might need to be evaluated for memory loss.
- Medications are not taken properly or overdosing, they need supervision.
- The home is too much to keep up with, they need help.
- They stop socializing due to friends deaths or lose the ability to drive. Socialization is so important as we all need to feel we have a purpose in life.
- Other situations that require observation are things like getting the bills paid on time, balancing the checkbook, or just basic decisions on spending and managing money.
In home care is a wonderful alternative but can be as costly as an assisted living facility and still does not address the issue of socialization. Studies have shown that people with dementia who attend regular social and cognitive engagements can slow cognitive impairment. That is why so many patients are encouraged to attend adult day programs. Senior facilities offer such activities and socialization among other services.
Source: Angie McClure, Marketing and Community Relations Specialist, Senior Health Care Expert, Cedar Rapids, Iowa Area
So Where Do I Start to Help My Parents?
Give us a call at Assisted Transition and one of our Elder Care Advisors will work with you to evaluate your situation and offer assistance and advice on how to move forward and get the help you and your parents need.
Call us at 916.899.8676